Sunday, September 26, 2021

Traveling Time, bragging to Ben Franklin

FADE IN.

EXT. PHILADELPHIA TAVERN -- CIRCA 1776. WARM, SUNNY FALL AFTERNOON:


SCOTT, THE TIME TRAVELER:
Ben, come here a sec. Lemme show you something: This is a ‘smart phone.’ In the future, we have these devices that...

     YOUNG BAR WENCH:

Benjamin! Where's your wife?

   BENJAMIN FRANKLIN (To wench): 

 No idea.

BAR WENCH: 

 Meet me upstairs later? 

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN: 

My pleasure.

TIME TRAVELER (To Benjamin Franklin): 

So, Ben -- this smart phone... 
Crap. You’re already lost. You don’t even know what a phone is.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN (To Scott):
I don’t

TIME TRAVELER:
OK. So, a ‘phone’ is an apparatus that enables people to speak to each other across very far distances
BEN FRANKLIN:
So you’re saying that if I were in my home, I could employ this apparatus to speak to my Madam Brillon de Jouy in the 16th arrondissement as if she were kneeling before me in mine own bed chamber?
TRAVELER:
Yes, I think you’ve got the idea.
BEN FRANKLIN:
You can summon your mistress right now?
TIME TRAVELER:
I don’t have a mistress. But, if I did, I could.
BEN FRANKLIN:
You should use that apparatus to find yourself a mistress.
TIME TRAVELER:
Listen, it gets better. We don’t really talk on phones anymore, anyway. We do much more. Let me show you...

BEN FRANKLIN:
This future of yours, it seems dull. Once, while I lived in France, I played at Madam Brillon so vigorously that she never fully recovered.

TIME TRAVELER:
Sure. So, if I touch the smart phone here...
and here...
and here, I can make words happen.
In your time, you might think of these words as ‘wishes’
 
BEN FRANKLIN:
This is a wish machine?
TIME TRAVELER:
Yep. So.. for example, I ‘wish’ for one red-head with two Sumo wrestlers at once, and... bingo. There you go!
 
BEN FRANKLIN:
Madam Brillon did that quite often.

TIME TRAVELER:
You see what I’m pointing at?

BEN FRANKLIN:
Yes. Madam Brillon did that with a greater quantity of suitors of greater quality.

TIME TRAVELER:
Okay, fine. But we can ask for whatever we want, right? I can ‘wish’ for ANYTHING. Like, say, a boy and and a man.

BEN FRANKLIN:
Yes, that happened, too.

SCOTT:
With Madam Brillon?

BEN FRANKLIN:
No, with Monsieur d'Houdetot and myself and a stable boy.

SCOTT:
Christ.

BEN FRANKLIN:
And the steed, too
SCOTT:
Stop it.
BEN FRANKLIN:
I was quite fond of France.
SCOTT:
Yes, I see that.
BEN:
Can I use your wish machine?
SCOTT:
No.

 

DISSOLVE TO B-ROLL FOOTAGE OF OLDE TOWNE PHILADELPHIA

No comments: